NSF REU Fellow Opportunity
NSF REU Fellow Opportunity
7 weeks from June 2019 to August 2019
The NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center (STC) is looking for 1 – 2 undergraduate research assistants to serve as NSF REU Fellows from June 2019 to August 2019. They will potentially work at George Mason University Site (Fairfax, VA), Harvard University site (Cambridge, MA), or University of California, Santa Barbara site (Santa Barbara, CA), depending on funding availability from NSF.
This opportunity is supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) I/UCRC and Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Programs which enable undergraduate students to obtain research experience and consider a career path in spatiotemporal domains (e.g., CS, GIS, Geosciences, etc.). NSF REU Student interns will work in a team with graduate students, postdocs, and faculty at one of the three center sites and will conduct research related to spatiotemporal issues. NSF fellows also have the opportunity to attend a professional conference to present their research results. Students may participate in various projects.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident status is required.
- Applicants should be able to work as NSF fellows for 7 weeks. Starting date is flexible.
- NSF REU fellows will receive stipend and reimbursement for travel to one conference hosted in the U.S.
- We encourage applications from underrepresented groups, such as women, Native-Americans, African-Americans, Hispanics, Veterans, and students with disabilities.
A complete application includes:
- A C.V.
- One page double-spaced statement of interest.
- Contacts (email and phone #) of two referees.
There will be three steps for selecting the students: 1) Site directors will collaboratively select a pool of promising applicants. 2) Faculty members will select the relevant applicants who match their interest. 3) A phone interview will be arranged with the selected candidates to consider the applicate’s background and skills communication, teamwork, and topic interest.
Please submit your application through email to Dr. Manzhu Yu (email@example.com). The review of applications will start on Feb 4, 2019, and end until the position is filled up. Feel free to contact Dr. Chaowei Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about the NSF RET Summer Fellows in Geographic Information Science. We look forward to receiving your applications.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration as summer follows without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.